A client and friend of mine, and Hoboken resident, Laura Siegel is spearheading this project that is near to her heart. She is working with a team of educators to open a science themed Charter School. Having children of her own, and seeing how Charter Schools help enrich the educational and developmental lives of children in the area, her team made up of teachers and parents have started working towards seeking funding and permits to open the school.
Not an easy process by any means but one that they are prepared for.
In 2011, the NJ Department of Education reported that Hoboken Charter schools were outperforming their public counter parts, showing that "third-graders at Hoboken Charter School and Elysian Charter School in Hoboken had 90% and higher passing rates while the Hoboken school district (67.8%) faltered 10% below the state average (78.8%)." - Reported on NJ.com
As part of this process, the group is reaching out to the community to gauge interest and seek input.
(1) If approved, DaVinci Charter School of Hoboken will open in September 2013 with Kindergarten - 2nd grade, and will expand to K-5.
(2) DaVinci will be a S.T.E.M.-focused school – Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. In addition to receiving high-quality instruction in reading and writing and all core subjects, students will participate several times a week in hands-on science experiments and engineering projects.
(3) DaVinci will offer a small, nurturing, and personal community where every child is known.
(4) DaVinci believes in adapting our teaching to the individual child – not the other way around.
(5) The curriculum will be Project Based. This means that students will learn largely through working on real-life-related, engaging, and often interdisciplinary projects that are connected to rigorous academic standards.